Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Challenge of Presentation


     This blog is rooted in work that I've been doing for a three week intensive painting class.
     The class finished rather abruptly though, and the elements of my final presentation didn't come together in the way that I wanted them to.  I did an installation ritual for our class outside of MassArt.  The ritual in and of itself was beautiful, but time, space and class requirements bogged the whole thing down.  I surrounded the area in which I was installing with picnic tables for people to sit at, which boxed the class in.  Hearing peoples' impressions was interesting until dogmatic thinking reared its head, boxing me in.  Then time constraints kept me from having a fuller dialogue with anyone.  I tried to include this blog, but the sun's glare darkened my laptop screen.
     The whole thing was anticlimactic and irritating, so I resolved never to do it again.  If I'm
going to include people in these rituals, it has to be organic, circumstantial, or not at all.







No comments:

Post a Comment